An exegesis of Pro-Life metaphysics
And SUDDENLY there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God….
In a MOMENT, in the Twinkling of an eye, at the last trump… we shall be changed.
The Book of Genesis documents a week of Suddenlies:
And God said, Let there be light. And it was so.
And God said, Let there be Day and Night. And it was so.
And let there be Flora. And Fauna. And it was so.
Six days. Done. Suddenly a spanking new world.
In fact, there are no Suddenlies, as Alexander Marshack pointed out some 40 years ago. An elephant doesn’t suddenly become an elephant. He has to learn how to be an elephant. Brains are designed for learning, not miracles. 75% of our own brain is developed through experience. And that experience begins with Home Schooling.
70 million years ago, the Maiasaura, a dinosaur, made a nest for her eggs. When her chickadees hatched, she fed them and protected them from predators. Jack Horner, a paleoanthropologist, found her and her nestlings, some hatched, some still in their eggs. He named her, “Good-Mother Reptile.” Indeed!
Nature may be red in tooth and claw, and merciless as poachers, but good mothers, down through the ages, have protected each generation. As tireless as the ebb and flow of the tides, the maternal arc is long and bends towards love.
“Not true!” says Pro-Life. When a hominin egg and a hominem sperm conjoin, Suddenly, at that Moment, in the Twinkling of an eye – Behold! a fully enfranchised human being.
How is that possible? 75% of our brain is custom -wired, depending on our unique experiences. The other 25% is the same as an elephant’s, except on a different scale. The 25% runs the biologic machine, breathing and heart beat and temperature. As fellow mammals, we and elephants have the same life-supportimg mechanisms in place. 75% of our brain is a blank at birth. What language would we 25 percenters speak? And about what? We wouldn’t have a name!
If the Pro-Life zygote, hereafter named “Suddenly,” is a competent human being from the timeless moment of its birth, why is it still helpless nine months later? From the work of Rene Spitz and the Harvard-led study of 180,000 Romanian orphans, the Suddenlies perished in droves, none prospered, not from lack of care but from the lack of a mother or a mother-surrogate.
Pro-Life claims that the Moment a Suddenly comes into this world, God infuses it with a soul. Soul is from God, a succession not seen in any other species. An elephant has to learn how to be an elephant from elephants; a human can’t learn to be a human from its soul. Perhaps an angel, but every Suddenly is marked for delivery to earth and not heaven. Humans without Home Schooling and its mother-taught curriculum don’t learn to be human, freighted or not freighted with soul.
Before going on, I want to remind us of the mother-taught curriculum of human Home Schooling.
It is by projective identification a biologic conceptual product – a new-born – gets transformed into a human being. Here’s how it works. A new-born recognizes “mama” within hours of reaching the starting line. He/She is an unassembled puzzle, the unnumbered pieces terrifyingly alive, fragments of anxiety, dread, dying. She/He shoves this mess into the mother, and piece by piece, lullaby by lullaby, feeding, cleaning, holding, petting, whispering, cooing, she puts the pieces together. “There. There.”
A mama projects into her new-born that it is Human. She and she alone is empowered to make a Human, not a cascading series of biochemical reactions, including the “miraculous” but in fact ordinary step of fertilization. There is no qualitative emergence at the conjunction of a sperm and egg, no Suddenlies and Presto! a full-fledged citizen of the state, entitled to lawyers. Scientists who followed the history of motherless children, found, of the survivors, irremedial wreckage.
(to be continued)